Tuesday, June 15, 2010

A Freudian Grip and the Question of Originality

There is nothing more purely entertaining than sitting around, laughing, chatting, saying something clever and witty, and thinking you have come up with something new.

. . . and then there is nothing more disappointing than realizing your cleverness is not all that original because someone else has come up with it first.

Case in point? A little discussion I had the other night. In a silly exchange I posited, “What does one call it when someone makes a gestural Freudian slip?” You know what I mean: an accidental graze of another person’s anatomical part. (Perhaps not so accidental if you are a creepy old man.) We could only presume that there must be some description of such a phenomenon! The obvious term, of course, was Freudian grip. Having never heard the term before, we rejoiced in our inventive wittiness.

Then, of course, a craving for further knowledge reared its ugly head and a Google search ensued.

I took what I considered to be a logical approach and did a Google search for “gestural Freudian slip.” The search results were not very helpful. There was a random smattering of topics including George Bush, some Second Life thing, and a few blogs. I did a bit of actual research and, apparently, a gesture falls within the traditional definition of Freudian slip.

But what about the oh-so-much cleverer term Freudian grip? Surely the genius of the phrase should not be lost to the world! So, on a lark, I did a Google search of Freudian grip. Much to my surprise, results abounded for the term I thought we had just created! The results included some highly suggestive photos, a comic art piece, and several results related to Freud. But not Mr. Sigmund Freud! In a dramatic twist, I came to find many of the results relating to Freudian grip led to figurative painter Lucian Freud, one of Sigmund’s grandsons. I drew some relief in noting that none of the results exhibited the connotation or definition of our invention. But still, Freudian grip was clearly nothing new.

This information chasing led me to realize how hard it is to be original in an age where so much knowledge is so easily accessed. How does the ease of accessing information affect our modern conceptions of originality? Am I any less original or creative for having thought of something on my own if it has already been conceived?

At any rate, next time you quite unknowingly find your hand nudging an unseemly bodily nook or cranny call it what it is: a Freudian grip.

5 comments:

  1. And by "<3" I rather meant "thoroughly witty response tying together contemporary notions of originality and linguistic creativity, delivered while celebrating your engaging humor and intelligence." Totes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why, what a glowing reception! I cannot tell you how much I appreciate it! I shall strive to receive a <3 for all future posts. Thank you so much, Eve!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how this feels: my blog title for one (yay third result on google). Not sure if you read much science fiction, but anytime I "come up" with a new word, some sci-fi author has incorporated it into their future-speak.

    At the end of the day, wouldn't it be distressing if you could manufacture clever things so easily? It would mean you are some super-intelligence and that no one could pique your creativity.

    My conclusion is that it is what we do with our ideas (original or not) that really matters. That is where true creativity resides. What use is it to come up with a totally unique chord progression if you can't turn it into a compelling song?

    (BTW this blog post comes up as #8 for the "Freudian grip" google search)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Luis,

    I am tickled that you did a Google search for Freudian grip, and I am even more tickled that this blog is the 8th result.

    Thank you for your comments about originality! I had not thought of your point about making sure we utilize our creativity. Ideas may not be completely original, but we can use those ideas in original ways.

    Without wax,
    R. Text

    ReplyDelete