Tuesday, June 1, 2010

An Unbearable Facebook Status

A shameless pun? Indeed!

This Facebook status was forwarded to me yesterday and my editing instincts immediately kicked in, so bear with me (oh, yes, another pun).



Though I am not Facebook friends with this particular bear lover, I hoped against hope that his or her mauling of the English language was a result of extreme emotional duress. Surely, the terrible spelling and lack of punctuation is due to some tragedy beyond the realm of any imagination! But what terrible event could inspire such egregious errors and senseless abuse of words?

I put my Google search skills to use! The result? I can only assume that the tragic Facebook status is based on two news articles. The first, from May 29, 2010, is entitled "Bear helping himself to chicken coop gets shot." The second, from May 31, 2010, is entitled "Backpacker shoots, kills grizzly in Denali National Park." But the plot thickens! There appears to have been a third bear death on June 1, 2010. Who knows what poorly authored response the moving news piece "Dog intervenes in grizzly attack, but bear is eventually shot" will elicit from our bear-adoring Facebook friend.

Disclaimer: Though this post is jocular in nature, I am poking fun at the ineptly articulated response to the bear deaths. I would never use the actual deaths of the bears as fodder for my wit. If you'd like to see the articles for yourself, they can all be found on the Anchorage Daily News website: adn.com.

Special thanks goes to Ms. Rehfeldt for this contribution.

No comments:

Post a Comment